Thursday, July 23, 2026

Day of the Osprey

Calgary has been hot and smoky, so I ventured out early this morning to avoid both. The Osprey family on Saint Patrick's Island was front and centre this morning and I was able to take some pictures of them. Three are highlighted on this post. The first was taken after I ventured close to the edge of the Bow River. As I crept up to the edge I noticed this Osprey standing in the water looking a little frustrated at its lack of a catch. I quickly increased my iso in case it flew.


 *Sony a7 CR, FE70-200 F2.8 + 2X Teleconverter, 400mm, iso 2500, 1/1250, f/5.6.

The Osprey flew low over the water as if looking for a catch before it rose up and flew into the trees.


*Sony a7 CR, FE70-200 F2.8 + 2X Teleconverter, 400mm, iso 2500, 1/1600, f/5.6.

I followed the flight on the Osprey, and it landed in a tree overlooking the river, but not a pose that is unique. Following the path up to the George C. King bridge (Skip-stone bridge), I was able to get low enough to take the picture of three Osprey on the nest with the sun in the background.


*Sony a7 CR, FE70-200 F2.8 + 2X Teleconverter, 400mm, iso 2500,1/4000, f/6.3.

All pictures photo-edited with ON1 Photo RAW 2026


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated to ensure positivity.

Day of the Osprey

Calgary has been hot and smoky, so I ventured out early this morning to avoid both. The Osprey family on Saint Patrick's Island was fron...